Salzkammergut – a bike region for beginners and advanced
The mountain bike region Salzkammergut will give you the benefit of wider valleys, compared to regions more in the west of Austria, and therefore the mountains do not rise up steeply right “behind the hotel”.
This means that also “beginners” in mountain biking and those bikers who do not seek a new altitude record every day will find an extensive offer of tours.
Here are some recommendations:
World heritage tour
This tour leads through the picturesque landscape of the UNESCO world heritage region Hallstatt-Dachstein/Salzkammergut. The tour runs along the east shore of Lake Hallstatt. An impressive suspension bridge crosses the deepest point of the lake. Passing the train station of Hallstatt you will continue your tour to Obertraun.
Here it is warmly recommended to take a detour to the Krippenstein to the viewing platform 5fingers or the World heritage helix. But also the mountain’s interior will be worth a visit, such as the Dachstein giant ice cave or the mammoth cave. Also in the historical village of Hallstatt, the Salzwelten will offer an insight into the salt mines. From the centre of the village, the ship will take you back to the east shore of Lake Hallstatt and to the starting point of your tour.
K & K tour
The K & K tour also starts right from the hotel. Along the diverse east shore hiking and biking trail you will go up and down next to Lake Hallstatt and then towards the Koppental valley. After a slightly steeper ascent, the new biking trail through the picturesque Koppental valley will take you to the Koppenpassstraße which will take you to Bad Aussee. Via Altaussee you will cycle to the Blaa Alm over the alpine pasture and then to the Rettenbachalm. Via the Rettenbachtal you will then reach the emperor’s town Bad Ischl (Tip: Treat yourself to a pastry in the famous Zauner Café and Confectionery next to the Traun river!). The tour will take you right through the city centre, along the esplanade to the Katrin cableway. Following the emperor’s traces you will pass the hunting statue on your way to Lauffen and then back to Bad Goisern along the Traun river.
Enjoy the typical Salzkammergut “Schmankerl” (specialties) with a view of King Dachstein.
The Schmankerl tour will lead you to the culinary highlights at the huts in the world heritage region along forest paths that can be easily mastered. The Haller Alm and the Rathlucken hut will await you with their regional specialties such as Holzknechtnocken, regional fish and delicious desserts. The tour is characterised by the diverse landscape of the region. Another highlight of the tour is the Ewige Wand, where you go right through a rock face. A short stop will offer a unique view of the Goiserer valley. But also King Dachstein with its impressive glacier will continually appear in the distance.
OR – also ideal and not very challenging “warm-up and easy tours”
- Hallstättersee-Runde incl. Koppenwinkelsee (25 km, 150 m difference in elevation): easy tour round the lake with several nice rest points and a car-free east shore
- Weissenbachrunde (20 km, 240 m difference in elevation): ideal mountain bike tour for beginners; only a good 200 metres difference in elevation and technically not very challenging with forest paths with fine gravel; but nevertheless highlights such as the oldest intact logging dam.
- Hochmuthrunde (21 km, 500 m difference in elevation): “modest” difference in altitude, but technically not to be underestimated. Some challenging descents will require considerable experience.
- Ewige-Wand-Runde (20 km, 500 m difference in elevation): leads through one of the region’s highlights, the “Ewige Wand” path that is blasted into the rock – anxious bikers can also push their bikes in this passage – the ascents and descents can also be easily mastered by less trained bikers – AND in any case the view is spectacular!!!
- Ausseerland – Ischlerland (first part with the train which leaves every hour and offers bike transport; 30 km, 280 m difference in elevation)
- Offenseerunde (first part with the train; 45 km, 450 m difference in elevation – possible detour to the Traunsee to take a BATH!!)
Our weekly programme of guided tours (in cooperation with the mountain bike centre Salzkammergut) includes not only 2 guided tours only for E-mountain bikers but also 2 guided Easy-tours (always including technical support – perfect for beginners). Learn more on our leisurely biking leisurely biking offers or send us your no-obligation enquiry and start your biking fun right from the doorstep of your hotel.